Tuesday, June 17, 2008

So, So Much More....

Whoever coined the phrase that “speech is silver but silence is golden” has probably never had the pleasure of being told by a child that they were loved. Listening to children learn to speak is a wonder, listening to my child learn to speak has been a privilege that has filled my head with memories that I want to cling to forever.

At first there are simple sounds that come out of a child with no rhyme or reason; just exploratory events and discovering the mastery control over the vocal box. Then comes the stage in which the child starts to imitate words that they hear around them. Often this stage is a parent only stage... as in, parents only will ever understand wheat the child is attempting to say, and they often have to act as translators to outsiders. Then comes the stage in which words become much clearer and the real art of communication can begin.

It goes without saying that I often whisper words of affection to Sweetpea, and over time, she has picked up the meaning of these words, and loves to voice them back to me now. I can’t begin to share with you the thrill, the sheer heartache of overwhelming gladness I feel when she wraps her small arms around my neck and says in that voice of hers that is thankfully devoid of saccharine, little girly sweetness,
“Mummah, I love you so, so much.”
And of course, it has been even more special to be able to return her vocal outpouring of love to reply with a river of adoration,
“And I love you so, so much more.”

The other night, as she was falling asleep, she repeated the statement several times. And because I was tired after a long day of being attentive to everyone around me, without thinking too much I simply replied that I loved her too, but still she persevered, until I realised that she was expecting the ‘correct’ answer.

“And I love you so, so much more Sweetpea.”

With the ever so slight hint of a giggle and a contented sigh she curled up in my arms and fell asleep. I'm not sure why God has chosen to bless me with this child, but I am grateful each and every day for her. Sometimes I fear that she will never fully know how much more I love her, but the love I feel for her is more encompassing than I ever imagined possible before I was a parent. I love her so, so much more than I ever thought possible.

No comments: