Monday, June 30, 2008

First Embroidery Lesson




In recent months Sweetpea has seen me stitching away with more passion than I have had for a few years. Actually I just cant imagine being able to stitch before a new child hits about the age of two and a half... it just seems too daunting to try and get all the needles and threads set up and then have to shove it out of the way to get up and attend to a crying child.

I digress. I've been getting back into my embroidery and Sweetpea often sits next to me and watches her TV shows and we chat and relax. I never really thought she was taking it in, but a few weeks ago I casually suggested when Sweetpea was older (thinking when she was five or six years of age) that I would teach her to embroider with me if she wanted. Her attitude was one of eager happiness.

So on Saturday, having had a quiet day (by my life standards) I thought I would ask if she wanted to have a go (what on earth was I thinking?) and boy oh boy did she respond positively. I cut out a piece of calico and threaded the largest needle I had with six strands of embroidery cotton, we sat down and blow me down if the child didn't sit there for 40 minutes concentrating, getting each stitch just right. I wish I could upload the video of her sitting there, legs crossed on the bed, staring intently at her work, and then asking if she had stitched a spider. Sure, why not I said,to which I was rewarded with a rendition of incy wincy spider. Pure joy I tell you, pure joy.

And after the hard work of embroidering was finished, Sweetpea followed me around the house, thanking me repeatedly;

"Thank you Mummah, thank you! Thank you for embroiderme."

I cannot believe that my three year old daughter is sewing, with real needles and thread. I always have suspected she was gifted, but now I know for sure!

2 comments:

Mrs. Shaimaa said...

Wow, that's really something. And to realize it so early! Masha2Allah ( May God Preserve and keep her for you) This is just great. It must be, as you said, pure joy to watch your baby growing so fast! Enjoy it while you can and try to evoke more skills out of her.

Anonymous said...

Awe that's awesome!!

Have you read The Creative Family (Amanda Soule)...?

Great book on encouraging creativity...

Hugs
Trace