Monday, October 29, 2007

What Should I Write About?

So here I am with no university homework to do (I sent off my Journal and the Third assignment together on Friday) and I have free time and I cant think of anything interesting to write about.

I could share my latest quest in my attempt to win the “Worst Mother in the Whole World Award” in which I sit at the computer trying to re-enrol in university and allow my daughter to shut herself into the shower, turn on the hot water and start screaming because she couldn’t get the door open to get out again. The only reason I didn’t get top score for my score card on the Worst Mother judging system is that our hot water system is really slow to heat up and so by the time I reacted instantaneously (that was where I fouled up in the scoring obviously) to Sweetpea’s distressed cries for help (she was scared that she couldn’t get the door open) the hot water was just starting to come through and it was my arm that got burnt as I reached in to turn it off, and not her whole body. It was a close call to getting the highest score for the Worst Mother, because she was soaked to the skin along her left side. But I think if this story tells us anything, it’s that I have real potential to reach the dizzying heights of the Worst Mother in the Whole World.


I could tell you that in the last week I have spent around $100 on skin care stuff to try and stop the eczema that seems to cover Sweetpea’s every inch of skin. Bath oils, moisturisers, special creams and potions, and none of them seem to be working. I just started washing her hair for the first time since she was around 8 months old because the bottle of Mustela cleansing gel that Nurse Friend gave me some samples of (from a nursing round she did) doesn’t seem to dry out her skin and is leaving her hair shiny and curly. Until this point all I've been able to do is rinse her hair with bath water (with bath oil in it) because anything else (even baby shampoo) left her scalp covered in raised scabs and left her back (where the soap would run down her back) and any other part of her body it came into contact with covered in angry red welts. Its been really nice to see Sweetpea's hair all soft and shiny and smelling so yummy. I spent around two hours searching the interest to find a store that sells the stuff, but in the end had to buy some from an internet store because I am the world’s worst researcher on the internet. What makes its a little easier for me to justify all this spending is that it is lovely French stuff, so I'm being tre cosmopolitan!! I cant tell you the guilt I feel when I touch my daughters body and feel dry patches everywhere despite being slathered in skin lotion that the pharmacist recommend. And the grief I feel when she is covered in heat blister spots... and everyone tells me I'm doing everything I can. Yeah, I'm supposed to just let my little girl scratch herself to bleeding because her skin is dry and itchy and hurting her. Can I just say that doctors and pharmacists are full of shite and don’t give a damn about a child (and mother) in distress because its “not that major a condition now is it?”

But no, those two items seem like such boring things to write about that I think I will leave my blog un-updated and spend some more time thinking about what to write about.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My husband's family suffers from eczema. It is horrible and painful. I can imagine what you are going through, because I see my husband's niece and nephew suffering like your daughter. They use CANDULA soap, and cream. Not that it cures the problem, but it does sooth.