Friday, December 29, 2006

Taking My Home On the Road.... Maybe.

I've been thinking, dreaming really. The idea that consumes my every waking moment (well that isn’t strictly true, but it sounds better in the writing) is the idea of packing up what little I have and whilst Sweetpea is young enough, go travelling around Australia.

Originally I thought if hiring a campervan for six months and just taking off. But hiring even from the cheapest, oldest, clapped out 1975 combivan dealership was going to cost me a small fortune, and lets not talk about if I wanted the luxury of a built in bed space! I was quoted prices that ranged from $6,000 to $12,000. Uh, yeah, sure right. I'm going to hire a van for six months for $12,000. BANG! Goes that dream.

Or so I thought. I started looking into buying my own little travelling home. Nothing flash of course, but a place that would give me some security on the road as I travel with Sweetpea and see this big beautiful land of mine. I would have preferred my first car to be a car, but if it turned out to be a snail-truck so I could follow an adventured filled life for a while, it wouldn’t be so bad would it?

Just thinking of the freedom of travelling where ever I wanted, staying as long as I wanted – or picking up and moving on sounds so appealing to me right now. I'm sure there will be people who will think I'm just running away from my reality, but so what if I am? What’s to stop me? Nothing but my own fears really.


All of this will have to wait until I work out what is happening with my life in Canada. I will be returning in a few weeks. I have to take my Citizenship test. I didn’t come this far with Immigration to loose that dream now. But if and when I return, the call to the gypsy life, will that be for me?

No comments: